Back To Splints & Neurological
Dynamic Arm Splints
Dynamic Arm Splints improve the resting and working posture of the upper arm, elbow and forearm and are designed to target specific goals for each client. Splinting goals depend on the client's level of active arm use, tonal presentation, sensory status, dominant pattern of movement, passive and active range of motion and arm control. Second Skin Dynamic Arm Splints have been clinically shown to enhance fluency of movement and motor performance in children and adults with cerebral palsy, and to bring about a change to movement goals of importance to each individual.
Dynamic Arm Splints are designed to:
- Improve or maintain:
- Elbow range of motion
- Forearm range of motion
- Elbow crease skin integrity
- Arm reach skills
- Forearm approach in specific tasks, with a subsequent impact on arm and hand skills
- Arm posture in mobility, with a subsequent impact on balance, postural symmetry of shoulder girdle and trunk, and gait (walking) pattern
- Specific arm and hand skills such as wheelchair driving, access to technology, self care skills, desk top skills at school or work, sporting skills etc
- Heighten sensory awareness
- Dampen the impact of involuntary movement on task performance
Design options include:
- Individual elbow shaping and directional line of pull targeting specific movement patterns and elbow/forearm position
- Additional fused foam sections for improved skin contact and enhanced postural stability where prescribed
- Sailcloth protection to limit impact on skin integrity of self harm/self biting behaviour, and to lengthen the life of the splint in these circumstances
- Zip access individually prescribed to allow ease of application by family/carers or client where possible
A combination of both hand and arm splints are frequently prescribed for children and adults. Targeting their whole upper limb will impact most successfully on the outcome of their splinting programme. This is the case for the majority of children and adults with hemiplegia. This splinting programme involves two separate splints which are recommended to be worn simultaneously.
Do not hesitate to contact us to discuss our Dymanic Arm Splints.