We have been focusing on the clinical needs of our clients and the goals of our medical and allied health colleagues in regard to infection control, chronic skin conditions, skin fragility, and difficulties with skin hygiene and comfort. This is particularly relevant to those clients with burns and traumatic injuries and chronic conditions where skin fragility and skin breakdown is not uncommon. Many of our clients require garments and dynamic splints for long term wear, so skin hygiene and care is imperative.
PurThread® anti-bacterial fibre
In response, over the past 18 months, we have been working with Technical Fabric Services Australia, to incorporate a new high-quality antimicrobial fibre, which will provide permanent protection against bacteria, mould, and fungi.
This innovative fibre is known as PurThread® and is being introduced into our hydrophobic fabric, which also includes enhanced cooling through improved wicking capacity.
The high-performance yarn is being rolled out to enhance our range of Second Skin garments. It won’t change the visual appearance, feel or durability of our garments or even how they are washed.
This is part of our continued commitment to innovate and enhance our product to ensure they work at an optimal level for our clients.
Testing and Performance
- Highly effective removal of bacteria from fabric surface for the lifetime of the fabric (AATCC-100 antimicrobial fabric testing)
- Embedded antimicrobial fibre for permanent protection
- No loss of antimicrobial performance (performed through 100 industrial launderings)
- Increased activity against a wide range of bacteria within 2-4 hours of contact time
- Maintained fresh fabrics by fighting odour causing bacteria
- Compliant with skin irritation and sensitisation testing (ISO 10993-10)